Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Check It Out

I was looking up my old Army company and look what I found. This way cool GI Joe. I was so excited I had to get it. As some of you know my brother Russ and I are big GI Joe fans as we had the original GI Joe. We never collected them but we have always thought they were cool. I think he still has his, minus a few body parts (casualty of our wars). I plan on hanging this one in my den (Mary-Jo reminded me that I don't have a den) just as soon I get a den.

I was actually with the 129th Special Operations Airborne Company SOAC but we were part of the 160th SOAR (Night Stalkers). We were just a lot more high speed. That is why we got to go to all the great schools like Airborne, Air Assult and such. The 160th is an Aviation Airborne Regiment that fly in Special Forces, Rangers and other elite groups. We flew nothing but Blackhawk helicopters but I don't know if thats's true for all of the 160th. We pulled a lot of security with the DEA and things like that so we were doing real missions before gulf wars. I would tell you about them but then I'd have to kill..........bla bla bla you know the deal. The 160th were the Aviation Regiment portrayed in the movie Blackhawk Down but that was after my time.

I originally joined the Army because I wanted to fly helicopters but once in I couldn't pass the eye exam and could never apply to flight school. I was the turbine engine mechanic for our company but I was also a Crew Chief. I got to fly a lot and this is how we looked, M-16's and flight helmets. That is why I got so excited when I found this. It also remined me that I use to be shape as we did hard PT every day. Just what everybody loves to hear about, me reliving my glory days but if I don't who will. Anyway, just thought I would share.

11 comments:

MJ said...

You really were a rockin soldier, and a total kid at heart! That's one of my favorite things about you! I love you, hon!

Maureen said...

I like hearing your old army stories, because I never have heard them. I actually think GIJoes are pretty cool too. Something about a guy in uniform even if he is all plastic (or what ever they are made out of) So cool you found one with your special unit. That is a find, Id build a den just to hang him in!

brooke said...

Dad!! That is awesome and I too love hearing about your Army days! Someday when we can finally get our families together you and C will have to have a day of chatting about all that guy stuff!! Love and miss you Dad!!

dpeck said...

Love war stories, especially when they come from one of my son's. What a neat post and there is so much we don't know about your army training and adventures. The one thing I know for sure is that you have a tendency to fall asleep and miss your destination when your visiting your family in Germany. - Sure do love you! - Dad

Kami Anderson said...

Awesome!! You should probably build a den to put it in. It's cool to hear about your army days. I remember the days of GI Joe. We use to have big fights about who was better GI Joe or Barbie. Hope you and your family are doing well and enjoying the holidays.

Kathy said...

HOOAH! OUTSTANDING POST! You're making me miss the Army. Wow, what a great find with that GI Joe. That is so cool. Or as they would say in the Army - COOL, TOAST, HONDURAS. Always remember - KEEP YOUR FEET and KNEES TOGETHER AIRBORNE! (or you'll break you're
4th point of contact) Love your brother in arms, Zach

Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry I'm just getting in touch with you. As you'll find out, I'm a blog slacker. I don't get on everyday like most people do. How are you? I haven't seen you in 6 months and I can't believe how fast that's gone by. So how do you know Jean? It's amazing how you can find people through other peoples blogs. Your family has grown so fast and your kids are way cute. How's work going?

StevePi said...

Cool. I love to hear about those days! I think your Army experience was cooler than mine. I just drove an Ammo Carrier behind a bunch of tanks in a long line. No one has made a GI Joe out of that. Although there there was talk of them making a Fisher-Price Weeble once. You do rock!

Russell said...

Klint:
I'm glad they made a GI Joe patterned after you! You're right, I still have my original GI Joe that I got for Christmas in 1964 (sans one hand and one foot). We always had a blast with our GI Joe's. A few years ago I got the exact replica for Mike,Luke, and Logan for Christmas.

Klint, all your days are glory days! You are the man! Merry Christmas!

Kayse said...

How cool, Klint. I always thought that GI Joes looked like you anyway, I guess they finally got it right. That's a really sweet find - worthy of a man cave. I've just been wondering when they're going to make the ultimate GI Joe, the Multiple Launch Rocket Systems Gunner! One can only hope. ;)

Kayse said...

I'm at my friend Kayse's house, but as you can probably guess that last post was from me! Mike